Assembles, installs, and repairs pipes, fittings, and fixtures of heating, water, and drainage systems by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Inspects structure to ascertain obstructions to be avoided to prevent weakening of structure resulting from installation of pipe.
- Locates and marks position of pipe and pipe connections and passage holes for pipes in walls and floors.
- Cuts openings in walls and floors to accommodate pipe and pipe fittings.
- Cuts and threads pipe.
- Assembles and installs valves, pipe fittings, and pipes composed of metals, such as cast iron, steel, brass, and copper, and nonmetals, such as PVC, ABS, and acid waste.
- Joins pipes by use of screws, bolts, fittings, solder, and plastic solvent.
- Fills pipe system with water or air and reads pressure gauges to determine whether system is leaking.
- Installs and repairs plumbing fixtures such as sinks, commodes, water heaters, hot water tanks, and dishwashers.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma; or Associate's degree or equivalent from two-year College or technical school; or two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.